We all have those days. You look at the watch thinking “it must be at least 4pm now”. To your surprise, it’s only 1pm. You have eaten all your food, because you are just too hungry to focus today! You keep thinking of everything you need to do after work, cooking dinner is literally the last thing on your mind. Don’t you worry, my dear. I’ve got you covered!
I was in this situation today. After work I still had to go run a few errands and go grocery shopping! One thing is true – never go grocery shopping when hungry. I bought some yoghurt covered peanuts and had a handful immediately when I walked out of the shop! So unnecessary! So walking out of the shop, I realised I only defrosted a small chicken breast and a packet of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. What was I thinking? What am I even going to make with that? I decided to just go home, look in the fridge at what I’ve got and just put something together. It came out pretty tasty in my opinion!
30 Minute Curry Recipe
- 1 tsp oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 red onion
- 1 broccoli head
- 1 cauliflower head
- 4 medium sized carrots
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (Coconut milk would work really good in this!)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large frying pain or pot.
- Steam the carrots for about 2 minutes in the microwave.
- While the frying pan is heating, cook rice either in microwave or small pot.
- Add chopped red onion until softened. Add the chicken breasts. Cook for about 8 minutes until it’s almost cooked.
- Add the curry powder, ginger, turmeric, coriander and cumin. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Place the veggies to the pot and cook until softened. (About 8 minutes)
- Lastly, add the chopped tomatoes, milk and water. Let this mixture simmer.
- Put rice into a bowl or plate, as preferred. Add the above recipe as well as some salt and pepper according to taste.
- And there you have a nutritious, quick meal!